Tuesday, June 23, 2020

37. Five things about Chemo #5


1) My doctor came in and said, "I saw your facebook! Such a great hat with the hair! And I saw your parents. You get your eyes from your mother. You get your body from your father." I laughed out loud and he panicked - "is that okay to say that?" I laughed again. "You speak the truth, Dr. Fatoni!"

2) Shem had to take his mama to the hospital so he was out today - my first visit without Shem. (Saying prayers for your mom, Shem Sojeva) DJ took me instead, which was awesome as well. He gave me the tour of places to go when you need a spa day as we drove back towards the base. Notes taken!

3) The doc came in towards the end of chemo and said, "Nikki, we have a problem. We forgot to charge you for the chemo drugs during the last visit and they will be on today's bill, so it will be much higher. I am sorry. It was a mistake."

"That's okay." I replied.

He continued to explain, "Someone just didn't put the code in. It wasn't intentional. It was just an error." I'm thinking to myself - is this guy used to dealing with Karen? Cause I was totally fine. People make mistakes. He continued to explain and I finally convinced him it was all right.

I started to wonder how many hundred of euros this was going to be on my bill for the error. It doesn't matter. It's life saving drugs. But still - I think it was like fifty dollars.

Think about that. To someone in Kosovo, that is a HUGE amount of money. A week's salary for the lucky ones. It actually made me shed more than a few tears because I'm as lucky as I am.

4) Last week we picked up lasagna on the way home so I wouldn't have to eat in the cafeteria or microwave something. Doused it with balsamic vinegar. Why? I don't know - it just really sounded good at that moment. I think it absolutely freaked the waiter out - but I was SUPER happy with how it tastes and gave him a nice tip, so when we dropped in today and placed a to-go order, he didn't say a word and included a side of balsamic vinegar for me. (Chemo is giving me the weirdest cravings - seriously, I can't even begin to describe the weird things I want to eat lately)

5) Paranoid Assassin - if I haven't told you about our on-game version of Paranoid Assassin, it has been life changing. Forty people take on secret identies and are given a random target somewhere on a base of 4,000 people. You have to "take them out" with a provided whiffle ball and then you inherit their target.

EVERY TIME I leave my room, or walk to the restroom, or walk to work - I'm looking over my shoulder waiting for death. I narrowly escaped an assassination attempt this weekend.

It. Has. Been. Awesome. Days aren't as boring and redundant as they were - anyone walking on base could be after you - and best of all, it increased mask usage (at least among the players).

So much fun. My assassin is outside on the porch kitty corner from mine as we speak. Waiting for me to leave my room. What she doesn't know is I'm watching her watching me, and next time she steps in for a toilet break - I'm going to sneak out and flank her from the opposite site.

Mwhahahahahahahaha. Updates to follow.

My not so secret assassin

1 comment: