Tuesday, July 7, 2020

40. Someone else's Story - BEN FIGHTS TODD

So the thing about having cancer, is that you tend to bond with other people that have cancer - because they understand the pain and frustration and fear that you're going through.  One of my sturdiest rocks during this journey has been Ben Hopkin.  If you don't know him - let me tell you a wee bit about his story.

====================================

Ben goes to Disneyland.  Ben breaks his back.  Ben discovers he has cancer.  And.....action:

God:  Happiest place on earth.  Probably a good time to tell you - hey, here's Stage 4 cancer.

Ben:  I will name it TODD and I will VANQUISH Todd from my body.

Doctors:  Absolutely!  We've got you!  Let's vanquish that bad boy!

<grueling tests and treatments>

God:  I see your Todd and I raise you even more  cancer!

Ben:  I shall name it WAYNE and I will VANQUISH Wayne from my body.

Doctors:  Got your back, bro.  Absolutely!  Oh, we will have to remove your kidney and give you a bone marrow transplant and isolate you for a few months completely unrelated to Covid.  But hey - we've got kids that need to pay for college!  Let's do this!

Ben:  HA!  I am in recovery.   I am using my time wisely to march for equality (in full PPE) for all people of color, gender and orientation!  My work is not done!

God:   Hmmmm.  The force is strong with this one.   Congrats on your recovery - as a little housewarming gift for your new bone marrow, here's a gift - MORE cancer!

Ben:   I shall name it TODDLER, for it is small.  And I shall VANQUISH Toddler from my body!

Doctors:   Dude, what did you do to piss off God?  Or maybe he just really, really wants you home?  You sure about this.

Ben:  Absolutely.  My work is not done yet.

Doctors:  Then neither is ours!  Let's go, Ben!  We will write articles and journals about you and your journey!  Let's do this!

-----------

Honestly, I've been on this crazy ride since February 28th - although it feels like FOREVER, it's not even FIVE months yet.  Ben has been actively fighting for over a year and a half - and doing amazing things throughout.

But it's tough.  And though he remains undaunted in fighting for his future - I'm sure he could use a little love and encouragement.  Remember those small acts of kindness?  Those everyday miracles?  Send one Ben's way.

And read his blog - https://benfightstodd.blogspot.com - BLOGGERS LOVE COMMENTS - it means someone cared enough to come to the site and read your story.   The entry of him breaking his back at Disneyland (which is how he was initially diagnosed) is amazing - his tenacity is inspiring.  But mostly, he's just a really, really good guy - and the world is better with him in it.  So let's remind him of that!

(this is Ben with his dog Kimo)

No comments:

Post a Comment